A sophisticated hotel in Dupont Circle
If Dupont Circle were a politician, it would constantly be striking compromises across the aisle — it appeals to locals, visitors, and diplomats alike, given its residential roots, can’t-miss attractions, and stately mansions that serve a role that matches their grandeur. Known as DC’s historic gayborhood, Dupont Circle has long been home to progressive thinkers, including early feminists and entrepreneurs.
Wondering where to go in the area? At the front desk, we’re always happy to provide personalized recommendations. In the meantime, here are a few spots worthy of note:
- Dupont Underground: Under Dupont Circle, a long-abandoned trolley station and tunnels have been transformed into a cultural destination, an unconventional space for photography and design competitions, concerts, theater, dance events, comedy shows, and other artistic exhibitions.
- Embassy Row: The beginning of the two-mile stretch of diplomatic buildings known as Embassy Row starts near Scott Circle. Walk along Massachusetts Avenue to take in the great estates.
- FreshFarm Dupont Circle Market: Founded in 1997, this highly regarded year-round Sunday farmers’ market features dozens of vendors with organic produce, baked goods, locally made spirits, fragrant soaps, fresh pasta, and much more.
- GoodWood: A favorite in the design community, this mercantile features a thoughtfully curated selection of vintage furniture, antiques, women’s apparel, gift items, and other stylish curios.
- Jenni Bick Custom Journals: This stationery store from Washington DC native Jenni Bick features her handcrafted leather journals that can be personalized with embossing by on-site artisans.
- The Phillips Collection: America’s first museum of modern art helped put Dupont Circle on the map when it opened in 1921. Today, it’s known for its works of European and American Impressionism and modernism from the likes of Pablo Picasso, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, and Georgia O’Keeffe.
- Secondi: One of DC’s longest-running designer consignment shops, Secondi restocks its high-end women’s clothing and accessories every day, meaning there’s always something new to covet.