A hotel near DC’s monuments
The Lincoln Memorial. The Washington Monument. The Smithsonian museums. When you think about DC, it’s these legendary landmarks that come to mind — and the Kimpton Banneker Hotel is close to them all. See history up close with a visit to the National Mall, more than 10,000 acres in tribute to the ideals the nation was founded on.
There’s so much to see, it can be challenging to know where to begin. Here are a handful of highlights:
- Belmont-Paul Women’s Equality National Monument: The house that hosted the National Woman’s Party for more than 90 years, named after suffragists Alva Belmont and Alice Paul
- Constitution Gardens: A peaceful slice of parkland dedicated to the framers of the Constitution
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial: A tribute to the longest-serving president’s four terms in office
- Hirshhorn Museum: A thought-provoking collection of modern and contemporary art, with an adjacent sunken sculpture garden
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial: The design of this monument was inspired by this line from the “I Have a Dream” speech: “Out of the mountain of despair, a stone of hope”
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial: All 58,318 Americans who served in the Vietnam War are listed on these granite walls
- National Museum of African American History and Culture: African American treasures, Civil Rights history and more are found at this Smithsonian Museum.